Are you useful? Are you willing to be used?

   As a parent I find myself rhetorically asking my son how many times he needs to be told to do something. The answer should be once but that is not the reality. I am working on stopping that question because every time it comes out I am reminded by the Holy Spirit that I am guilty of needing repeated warnings, reminders and training in my life.
  I watched and listened to a sermon by David Platt given at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary recently.

Three Questions from Luke

   I had to listen to it three times and I know I will go back to it again. Platt is a fine preacher of the Word but I think his greatest strength is his passion for the Lord. It is palpable. It draws you in and makes you examine God's word and how it applies to you. That is a powerful gift and he uses it well.

His message or better yet God's message clearly stated in Luke is a call to serve Him unconditionally and to love your neighbor as yourself . I am guilty of making legal contracts full of conditions and clauses in my service of the Lord and love of others. He has been working on my mind and spirit for decades and he has broken through now and I do not want it covered up. Like me with my son, he has used multiple ways to reach me and even in these past few weeks he used David Platt's sermon, a sermon yesterday at my church and then another sermon I listened to last night, also from SEBTS. It was preached by David Crane, a missionary for the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention, who serves in Uganda. Please feel free to listen to these sermons when you have time to do so.


Can God Use Me?

  In Church yesterday the pastor asked how many people would go to Uganda to serve the Lord if that is what he called you to do? If you have been in church long, you know that you should raise your hand. But in doing so are you being truthful? God knows your heart. We can fool a multitude of people but not God. It hit me hard at that time and later at home when I listened to the sermon above.

  I believe that God can use me but also believe that I will only be of the most use to Him wherever it is that he has called me to go and doing whatever it is that He has called me to do. I posted a eulogy for my grandfather last week and I tell you that he left this life on earth without a regret. He faithfully served the Lord. I desire that the same be said of me not for my glory but that God will be glorified in anything and everything that he has chosen for me to do.

  I humbly ask you to pray for me and my family as we move forward. Pray that the steps I am taking are the right ones and that I will follow God's will for my life wherever it may lead. I thank you. God bless you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything I Have Is Yours

Brief testimony and support for my wife's mission trip