My Grandfather's Eulogy

Written and delivered by his pastor at New Market United Methodist Church in Hartsville, South Carolina.

It is truly a rare honor when one has the privilege of celebrating the successful completion of a lifelong venture.

Today is such an honor.

The Reverend George Cook, or as we love to call him "Brother Cook" was truly one of the most successful people I have been privileged to know.

His success was not financial, it was not in terms of human recognition or fame, he did not build great institutions, or any of the other things by which most of today's society judges a man to be successful.

Brother Cook succeeded at the most difficult task any of us face. He succeeded at life. He was true to his faith, true to his calling and true to his commitment. He was, in my opinion a true Christian, as God calls us all to be. I really believe he lived in the manner Christians are called to live, as the name "Christian" suggests, "Christ like".

From time of his conversion as a young sailor, I really believe he went about doing good, sharing the good news of Jesus' love and God's wonderful plan for mankind.

In my 18 years or so years of association with him, I never once knew him to be unkind.

I never heard him express bitterness, discouragement or despair.

Everything he ever told me about anybody was positive and good.

Many times, I had the occasion to speak with him when I was discouraged or disappointed and he always encouraged me. I often thought of him as a true "Barnabas", which translates to "Son of Encouragement".

I told Louis last night, when I grow up, I want to be just like George Cook. I only wish I had what it takes to become the man he was.

As he got older and his hearing began to fail, we set up a pair of headphones to assist him. I can't tell you the times he made a point of telling me how much he appreciated those headphones. He genuinely appreciated even such a small thing.

To his family I want to say, he loved you so much and was proud of each of you. He often shared with me your accomplishments, your concerns and your joys. he made no secret of his love for you.

I grieve today, because I will truly miss this great encourager, this proven warrior in the battle of life, and I will often long for the opportunity to speak with him, to hear him pray in that powerful but gentle way of his. But far more than grief, I feel great joy at knowing that "Brother Cook" has graduated with the highest honors. Summa Cum Laude, from the school of life. And now he is enjoying just what he deserves. There must be some more celebration as he embraces those who preceded him. But somehow I can't help but feel, all of heaven took special notice Sunday night when one of God's finest finished his race and received the reward he so richly deserved. What a privilege to have shared a part of his life and what a comfort and joy to have the beautiful memories he left with us. I can't wait to pick up the story, and hear what he has to share.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything I Have Is Yours

Brief testimony and support for my wife's mission trip