Day 2: New driver, new van, more kilometers driven



 My future van? A Russian UAZ-452, which is everywhere in the Mongolian countryside. I am told it is tough but also not made for a comfortable ride. I need to give one a test drive on the way to Burghangai.Gray is the dominant color.


Erdene Zuu




Stupa inside Erdene Zuu


The communists(both Mongolian and Russian/Soviet) destroyed almost all of the monasteries in Mongolia and murdered about 10,000 monks before Stalin urged some restraint as to present a better picture for foreign visitors, or so I have read.



The first of many grasshoppers, afield full of them flying around makes a similar sound to a rattle snake. It takes some time to grow accustomed to that sound for a South carolina boy.


The three manly sports in Mongolia are horse racing(long distance), archery and wrestling but Mr Naismith's game of basketball has caught on aas well. I saw many hoops in city and countryside.




Enkhii on a yak.He got the Mongolian price.









                                        Donkey brothers riding.



         


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything I Have Is Yours

Brief testimony and support for my wife's mission trip