Into Arkhangai: Day 2 & 3


Our second night stay was to visit a nomadic family living in Arkhangai Aimag. It was a long and bouncy drive. The "off-road" portion was 60km umpaved over a mountain and through some treacherous crossings. Taking these bouncy roads and wondering if the van, SUVs and car would make it is always in the back of your mind. Roadside assistance in Mongolia is your arms and legs. We did not get there until it was dark and we had experienced two of the kids throwing up along the way. My advice is to keep those plastic grocery bags handy in your vehicle. When double-bagged they can serve as barf bags. Below is my family's ger. Yes, the floor is the earth. 

After waking up, we were near a corral but the sheep and goats do not sleep in there. They bunch together and sleep outside the corral.


The rest of our family slept in tents and the vehicles.







We were in a beautiful spot.


This family had horses, sheep, goats and yaks. Yaks are the coolest animals to pass as you drive in the countryside. They always have a shocked expression at seeing a vehicle even if you are the fifth in a line.


Milking must be done twice a day.


An expanded creek and marshy area was beside the camp. We had frequent rains and it was flowing quickly.

I led a few boys in search of a crossing spot but none was found. A mile away I was able to communicate with another nomadic family about crossing it. I was informed that the depth reached my chest so crossing was scratched.



Wildflowers...I saw a plethora of wildflowers in the countryside. I hope you enjoy them. Many more pics to come.





Aav(my Father-in-law Chagnaa), our cousin Bob and our driver Boldbaatar enjoy the view from halfway up a larger hill.


Wildflowers, clouds, blue sky, rolling hills and animals are what you see most in the country.


Where we stayed for two days.


Taken from further up the hill.




Three cousins enjoying the view after a good climb.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything I Have Is Yours

Brief testimony and support for my wife's mission trip